16 December 2014

WEDDING SEASON

WEDDING SEASON

            Whenever I had a budget I would buy books. Ever since I have discovered a store that sells second hand books I am so pleased that I become a regular customer. That is the good thing about books when you are done reading them you can keep it or you can share them. I think the owner understands what a single book can do in its reader. How a book can change a perspective whether it is new or old.
            I bought Wedding Season by  Katie Fforde because at that time I was thinking of becoming a wedding planner which is the job of Sarah the main character of the story. I want to find how other people especially the writers see a wedding planner as a career. I want to find out what is needed in order to become one.


            BACK COVER SUMMARY: Sarah Stratford is a wedding planner hiding a rather inconvenient truth – she doesn’t believe in love. Or not for herself, anyway. But as the confetti flutters away on June Breeze of yet another successful wedding, she somehow finds herself agreeing to organize two more, on the same day and only two months away.
            Luckily Sarah has two tried and tested friends on hand to help her. As the big day draws near, all three women find that patience is definitely a virtue in the marriage game. And all their working hours are spent preparing for the weddings of the year; they certainly haven’t got any time to think about love. Or have they?


            You might ask what I learned.  Well, they are few but essential information. They are:
1.      Patience is needed when you are a wedding planner.
2.      As a wedding planner you need to have a massive network of professional people because you are going to work for them. You should know an excellent wedding photographer, make – up artist, hairdresser, florist, food caterer and a dress designer.
3.      Engaging with the family of the bride and groom is important.
4.      Always be ready for the unexpected like losing the bridesmaid. Be calm and be open to alternatives.
5.      Work professionally.
6.      Consider your clients as your calling cards.

After reading the book I asked myself if I would be doing the same as Sarah – wedding planner. I said yes. But given with my background and the demand of the job my next question is how. It was not mentioned in the story how Sarah ended up as a wedding planner. All in all it was a satisfying read. I got what I wanted. I even got a bonus – being a wedding photographer is also a fulfilling job especially if you believe in wedding.

      *DISCLAIMER: The summary that I have provided is from the book cover. I do not own it.  I take no credit on it.

Wedding Season is written by  Katie Fforde
Published by Arrow Books 2009











            

No comments

Post a Comment

© Jhecel Ogtip
Maira Gall