03 December 2015

Why I Blog


Let me share my blogging story and the rules that I follow before I click the publish button. As I write this I am attempting to understand within myself, “Why I blog?” It is my hope that my reasons would make sense to you whether you are a blogger or not.

I blog: to share my literary works, exercise my writing skill, establish an identity, acquire and develop new skills, and meet and understand different kinds of people.

1.      I blog to share my literary work. I have filled two notebooks where I write freestyle poetry and essays when I was still studying. Writing poetry is my excuse to overcome the emotions that I was feeling may it be sadness, happiness or anger. I’d always wonder how the public would react so when I discovered blogging I publish them here. What’s the point of writing them if no one will ever read them? So far no one had called me cheesy yet.

2.      I blog to exercise my writing skill. Obviously, this should be number one in my list but it is so passé that I put it on item number two. I struggle to construct sentences that are different in tone. Not only that I have found out that I suck on finding the right adjective for a certain subject. Then there is this problem in redundancy of words plus that fear of not being an original, and many more. I doubted myself when I discover this problem because writing is my main thing. To solve this dilemma I go to our public library to read books (that I have not read yet) about Grammar, Creative Writing, and Technical Writing and so on. I also read blogs about Blogging 101 and Writing Tips. In my own words, I can sum up all of the advice to be a better writer, “A sharp blade is useless until it is used by a determined amateur.”

3.      I blog to establish an identity. Like everyone else I would like to be known for what I do. Of course being a blogger is just one of what I want to accomplish. While I am still working on my other hats, I am a blogger until the time of my life will allow. I am a lifestyle and literary blogger to be exact.  Here’s a little confession, whenever my friends asked me what I been doing for the past days I would say, “I’m a blogger now.” Most of them don’t know how blogging works so I end up explaining it. Anyway, it is just an excuse so that we can’t talk about career and love life. If Koshe becomes a brand in the near future that would be really  really great.

4.      I blog to acquire and develop new skills. Blogging, I have learned, is never easy. One should understand at least the basic of HTML and SEO. You have to do it all by being the publisher, researcher, writer, editor, photographer, PR, Marketing – the typical positions in a publishing house. That is why it is important for me to read comments. Aside from me, no one else read drafts of my blog before I publish them.


5.      I blog to meet and understand different kinds of people. If you have noticed I am more interested sharing stories of other people than myself. I am always curious what that stranger thinks about life. Whenever I discover a new blog I make sure I read the ABOUT page so that I would understand why he is making a fuss about a certain topic in his blog.

Aside from talking online someday I’d like to see in person all the bloggers that I’ve been following. It is interesting to know that somewhere out there is a person similar with my beliefs out there. I admire bloggers who share about their personal life. They are brave! I chose to believe that there are people who are comfortable in expressing their selves in print (or in this case, in pixels).

My Blogging Rules
1.       It should be an article I would read should I stumble it on a different blog.
2.      If possible, it should be free from grammatical errors.
3.      I stay away from the keyboard and the Wifi zone if I am overpowered by my emotion especially if I am angry.
4.      If all else fails, remember this quote from Neil Gaiman, "Start telling the stories that only you can tell, because there’ll always be better writers than you and there’ll always be smarter writers than you. There will always be people who are much better at doing this or doing that — but you are the only you."

That goes my reasons and rules in running Koshe. I’d like to know yours. You can always comment below or if you want you can create your own blog post. Don’t forget to leave a link so that I can read them. If you are not a blogger I’d love to know your other hobby. Let’s get acquainted!









2 comments

  1. It's nice that you have blogging rules. I do agree with the not writing when angry. When it's on the web, it's there forever! The other rule I have is to write not because I feel like I need to, but because I want to. I might just make a post like this someday. I'd definitely link you up. :)

    Love, Richel. | Richel Goes Places

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Richel! Thank you for reading my blog. Oh, I understand how it feels when you are writing because you WANT it. It's the best feeling compared to writing a post because you are committed on publishing it.

      Delete

© Jhecel Ogtip
Maira Gall